Foolproof Fall-Apart Ribs with Southern Braai SauceNatasha Jebens
Photography by Rochelle Keet
If you are one of those people who gets your fingers dirty, smearing rib sauce all over your face while you devour these BBQ classics, then this is the recipe for you! Our favorite part about this slow-cooked rib recipe is how easy it is, there is no whisking of marinades, no additional pans, just the Southern Braai Sauce, which makes this one of the easiest rib recipes around. Guaranteed flavor and the perfect tender ribs! Try serving it on a simple salad or with our Oven Roasted Smoky Veggies to make a full meal!
PREP & COOK TIME:
15 mins prep time
2.5 hours cook time
814 per serving
1-2 tsp, to taste
Bunch, finely chopped
Side Salad, Fries or Smoky Roast Vegetables
- Mix Rub ingredients in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the pork ribs, both sides. Pat as you go to ensure it sticks. If you have time set aside for 20 minutes to infuse.
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F (all oven types).
- Put ribs in a baking dish (in a single layer) and pour apple juice underneath. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1.5 hours until tender.
- Remove from oven, turn it up to 180°C/350°F. Take off the foil, drizzle with oil and return to the oven until a nice crust forms (around 15 min).
- Remove from oven, transfer to a lined tray. Pour over any remaining pan juices, then flip the ribs and cover the underside with Southern Braai BBQ Sauce, return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove, flip so the meaty side is up, baste some more sauce and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times until there is a nice glaze on the ribs.
- Cut into individual ribs and serve with extra Southern Braai Sauce on the side!
- This recipe is forgiving so don’t worry about exact timing here! At 1 h 30 min, use 2 forks to check if you can pry the meat apart with little effort but not yet falling off the bone. Don’t forget they will get another 30 – 40 minutes in the oven!
- You can sub garlic powder with 1/2 tsp fresh garlic.