Ghost Peri-Peri Chicken BurgersKatya Ostrova
Recipe development and photography by Natasha Jebens
Peri-Peri Chicken is a South Africa classic, from street-side grills and fast-food restaurants to fine dining. Peri-Peri is used on all types of meat, in all cuisines, but in my opinion, it’s finest use is on the humble chicken burger. Now making Peri-Peri burgers couldn’t be easier with the African Dream Foods Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce, injecting a depth and richness to the dish, as well as some good spice, this sauce is an essential to get the authentic Peri-Peri burger experience. Succulent marinated meat with a slight spice and drool-worthy Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce is what dreams are made of! I am a firm believer that you should never have clean hands after eating a good burger, and that is definitely what you have in store with this one! Enjoy!
PREP & COOK TIME:
15 mins prep time
30 mins cook time
665 per serving
Chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
4 (See Note 1 below)
1/8 – 1/4 tsp (depending on how brave you are)
Yoghhurt (or sour cream)
- Put 1/4 cup of the African Dream Foods Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce in a ziplock bag/bowl and add the chicken thighs, turning to coat. Marinate for 3 hours, or up to 24 hours (See Note 2 below).
- Mix together 3 tablespoons of the Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce with the Pink sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add marinated chicken and cook each side for 4 to 5 minutes until they are dark golden brown. Remove from pan onto a plate, tent with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- To make the burgers split the roll in half, place lettuce, tomato slices, then chicken. Drizzle with Pink Dipping Sauce.
- Serve with potato wedges (see quick recipe below) and lots of napkins.
- Preheat oven to 200 C/392 F, toss potatoes in African Dream Foods Safari Smoke Seasoning. Drizzle with oil and toss again.
- Spread onto a baking sheet, making sure there is enough space for them to lie in a single layer
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they are golden and crispy.
- Serve with Pink Dipping Sauce.
- Note 1 – Chicken breast can be used, although it may not be as juicy, ensure to marinade overnight.
- Note 2a – At this stage you can put the ziplock in the freezer, it will last for around 3 months. When ready to use, remove from the freezer and allow it to defrost completely before continuing with the rest of the recipe.
- Note 2b – If you are in a rush, marinade for as long as time allows, it will stay taste delish.