Peri – Peri Buffalo Chicken WingsNatasha Jebens
Recipe development and photography by Rochelle Keet
Did someone say chicken wings? We sure did! These Peri-Peri Buffalo Chicken Wings are slightly healthier than traditional Buffalo wings. Instead of being fried, they’re lightly dusted with African Dream Foods Habanero Chili Salt, Safari Smoke Seasoning and flour and baked in the oven. They’re then tossed in buffalo-style sauce made with butter and our flavorful African Dream Foods Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. The high-fat sour cream dip is also replaced with a blue cheese yogurt dip. You better get the napkins ready! These messy wings are delicious!
PREP & COOK TIME:
20 mins prep time
45 mins cook time
497 per serving
Butter or pork lard, for greasing
1 tsp (add more if desired)
White wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C. Lightly grease two baking trays with butter or pork lard, and set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry with towel paper. Cut the tips from the chicken wings. Separate the drumette and flat by cutting into the joint.
- Add the chicken wing pieces to a large mixing bowl. Add the ADF Habanero Chili Salt and the ADF Safari Smoke Seasoning and mix through.
- Add flour to the mixing bowl, and use your hands to make sure that all chicken pieces are completely coated with flour.
- Shake off the excess flour and place the chicken pieces on the greased baking trays, skin-side up.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until crispy.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the wing sauce. Add the butter, ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey to a small saucepan and bring to simmer. Continue to simmer over a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Take the wings out of the oven and toss with the hot wing sauce. Serve immediately with the yogurt dip.
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- You can bake the tips with the drumettes and flats, or keep them in the freezer to use for a chicken stock.
- Make sure your Peri-Peri Buffalo Wings are cooked through by using a kitchen thermometer. If it registers at 165°F/74°C, you know it’s ready and safe to eat!
- The honey tempers the heat from the ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. If you want a milder heat, add more honey. If you like more punch, you can use less honey or even leave it out.
- For a hotter option, replace the ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce with our ADF Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce.
- Because the wings are quite spicy, it’s a good idea to serve them with slices of avocado, and carrot and celery sticks. You can also serve these with fries seasoned with ADF Smoked Chipotle Salt.