Slow Cooked Short Rib with Southern Braai SauceNatasha Jebens
Recipe development and photography by Natasha Jebens
Nothing beats smokey, meat that falls apart after being slow cooked for hours. ‘Low ‘n slow’ is the motto of many of the great BBQ’ers out there, and for good reason. Slow-cooking turns an economical cut of meat into a show stopping piece that will have everyone licking their fingers! Our favourite part about this recipe is how easy it is, there is no whisking of marinades, no additional pans, just the Southern Braai Sauce, which gives the dish so much flavour, richness and that sticky goodness you are looking for in fall-off-the-bone meat. What is BBQ without some smoke and heat? That is why we finished off our Slow-cooked Short Rib recipe with some Smoked Chipotle Salt!
PREP & COOK TIME:
10 mins prep time
4 hours cook time
542 per serving
Beef Short Ribs
6 x 10-12oz/300-350g
1-2 tsp, to taste
Southern Braai Sauce
Bunch, finely chopped
Corn, Pickles and Mash Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F (all oven types).
- Mix Rub in a small bowl, large enough to fit one rib.
- Press beef ribs into the rub, coating all sides. Shake off excess.
- Mix Southern Braai sauce and water in a baking pan (large enough to fit them all snugly in a single layer), whisk to fully combine.
- Place ribs in sauce, turning to coat. Arrange meat in the sauce, (sauce may not completely cover, that’s ok).
- Cover tightly with foil or lid, bake 3 hours, checking every now and again to baste and to make sure it hasn’t dried out, if it has just add some more water and keep going.
- Remove from oven, remove foil. Turn ribs (they may break apart, that’s fine). Spoon over sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered, spooning over sauce again halfway through, until the surface is caramelised and sticky. Check to ensure ribs are tender – pry a bit apart using two forks. (If not, cover and return to oven, but after 4 hrs they definitely should be!)
- Remove ribs and place onto serving plate. Mix sauce to bring together, adding more water if it needs to be thinned. Serve with ribs!
- If using thicker cut ribs, this short rib recipe may require additional cooking time. If it doesn’t seem tender after the allocated time then just pop it back in, with the foil, for an additional 30 minutes to an hour.
- You can sub garlic powder with 1/2 tsp fresh garlic.