Southern Braai Gourmet Hot DogsKatya Ostrova
Recipe development and photography by Rochelle Keet
Apparently, Americans eat about 20 billion hot dogs a year. And it’s easy to see why everyone loves them so much: they’re easy to make, they’re filling, and you can top them with pretty much anything. For this Gourmet dog, we decided to use our Fermented Vintage BBQ Sauce called Southern Braai to make a sweet onion relish – it’s the perfect match for the spicy American Smoked Hot Dogs! Top with a drizzle of Jalanasco Fermented Yoghurt Sauce made with ADF Jalanasco Sauce and they’re ready to eat.
PREP & COOK TIME:
10 mins prep time
20 mins cook time
491 per serving
Hot dog rolls
American hot dog sausages
- Add 1 tbsp butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the sausages until they are charred and begin to split. Remove from the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and add another tablespoon of butter. Add the onions, peppers, and salt and sauté until the onions start to caramelize. Add the Southern Braai Sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
- For the yogurt sauce: Mix the Greek yogurt with the Jalanasco Fermented Jalapeno Sauce. Pour into a squeeze bottle and set aside.
- Assemble your hot dog: Split the hot dog rolls, add the sausage, and top with the onion relish. Finish off with a drizzle of the Jalanasco Fermented Yogurt Sauce.
- The onion relish can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also top your gourmet hot dogs with extra cheese, sauerkraut, or pickles.
- Feel free to grill your sausages instead of frying them in a skillet. In Africa, they would typically be braai’d over hot coals or charcoal. You could, of course, steam them.
- Not all hot dogs are created equal, and for this recipe, you want the best hot dogs money can buy – don’t skip on quality.
- If you want a more hands-off approach to cooking the hot dogs, you can roast them in the oven. Cook in the oven at 400°F/200°C for about 15 minutes (they will start sizzling when ready).