Spicy and Sweet Butter Popcorn (two recipes!)Natasha Jebens
Recipe development and photography by Rochelle Keet
Having a few friends over for game night? Then make sure you save these two popcorn recipes. The first one is seasoned with butter, ADF Bird’s Eye Chili, and a crack of salt—not your everyday popcorn! Each bite is crunchy and buttery, with just the right amount of spice. Of course, you need something sweet too. So we created a spicy but sweet, popcorn flavor that hits the spot. If you like Mexican chocolate, you’ll love this new take on sweet and spicy popcorn. Cocoa powder, cinnamon, and sugar all come together in one crunchy bite of popcorn. We should give you a warning, though…these flavors are pretty addictive. And if you don’t count the butter, they’re healthier than store-bought crisps! So make sure you pop enough to go around.
PREP & COOK TIME:
5 mins prep time
15 mins cook time
Popcorn doesn’t count!
FOR THE SWEET AND SPICY POPCORN SEASONING:
- Heat the canola oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add two popcorn kernels. When you hear them pop, the oil is ready.
- Add the remaining popcorn in a single layer to the pot. Give the pot a shake to ensure that all the kernels are covered with oil. Remove from the heat for about 30 seconds.
- Return the pot to the heat, turn heat to medium and continue to cook. Once the popping starts, lift the lid slightly to release steam.
- The popping will slowly start to become less, once there is an interval of several seconds, you know it’s ready. Transfer to two mixing bowls, and add your flavor of choice.
- Add the butter and ADF Bird’s Eye Chilli Sauce to a small heatproof bowl. Microwave for 30-second increments until the butter has melted completely. Stir to mix through.
- Pour the Bird’s Eye Spicy Butter over the popcorn, and season with salt. Stir the popcorn with a spatula to make sure they’re evenly coated with the melted butter mixture.
- Sift the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon into a small bowl. Add the ADF Habanero Chilli Salt and stir to combine.
- Add the butter to a small heatproof bowl, and microwave for 30-second increments until the butter has melted completely.
- Pour the butter over the popcorn, followed by the sweet spice mixture. Stir the popcorn with a spatula to make sure they’re evenly coated with the spice mixture.
- Lifting the lid while popping the popcorn, allows excess steam to escape. This will prevent soggy popcorn…you want it nice and crispy!
- If you want to make the Bird’s Eye Spicy Butter Popcorn extra special, feel free to add parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast—this adds an extra layer of cheesiness.
- Want some extra smokiness? Add ADF Safari Smoke Seasoning to the hot melted butter before pouring it over the popcorn.