Spicy and Smoky Grilled CheeseNatasha Jebens
Recipe development and photography by Rochelle Keet
Grilled cheese sandwiches come in all shapes and sizes, and there are an almost endless variety of options to choose from. But few people seem to explore the bold flavors of a decadent spicy and smoky infused sandwich crusted with parmesan cheese. This is an easy recipe that takes a run-of-the-mill grilled cheese sandwich and elevates it to the next level. The smoky taste of the Smoked Chipotle Salt and Safari Smoked Seasoning parmesan-infused crust is just the start to this delicious sandwich, which boasts another level of flavor with the addition of Lemon and Garlic Peri-Peri. Whip up this delicious sandwich in no time for a light lunch, or prepare it with some of your favorite sides for a delicious dinner.
PREP & COOK TIME:
15 mins prep time
5 mins cook time
321 per sandwhich
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices. Place a slice of Monterey Jack and a slice of Mozzarella cheese on each of the four slices of bread (the sauce will be sandwiched between the cheese).
- Spread 1 tsp ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri sauce on two of the slices. Place the sandwich slices together carefully, making sure the cheese doesn’t slip off.
- Mix the parmesan cheese with the seasoning on a large plate. Press the sandwich’s buttered sides onto the parmesan mix, so that it sticks to the bread.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and press down with a rubber spatula. Continue to cook until a golden crust starts to form and the cheese starts to melt.
- Carefully flip them over and cook until the other side is golden too.
- Remove from the skillet, slice, and serve immediately.
- If you want to make grilled cheese sandwiches for a crowd, you can make a bunch of these in the oven at the same time.
– Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C and place the oven racks in the middle position. Place the assembled sandwiches on a greased baking dish. Spray the sandwiches with cooking oil spray. Cover with wax paper (greaseproof paper) and top with another heavy oven-safe pan.
– Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- If you want to make this grilled cheese even more indulgent, add a slice of cooked bacon between the two layers of cheese before grilling it.
- If you want more tang in your sandwich, use mayonnaise instead of butter.
- If you want to use other cheeses for these sandwiches, make sure to include a mix of flavorful cheese (like a mature cheddar) with a melty, stretchy cheese like Mozzarella. Place cheese slices on both slices and add all other fillings in the middle so that the cheese ‘envelopes’ the other ingredients.
- Keep your skillet over medium heat and don’t be tempted to increase the heat to high. The perfect grilled cheese requires patience. If you make the skillet too hot, the parmesan crust will burn before the cheese has melted.