Spicy Jalanasco Breakfast Burrito with Habanero Tomato SalsaNatasha Jebens
Photography by Dalila Tarhuni
Colorful and nutritious, these Breakfast Burritos are easy to make and are loaded with all the classic breakfast flavors: scrambled eggs, sausage, crispy hash browns, melty cheese, and vibrant tomato salsa. Just add our zingy African Dream Foods Jalanasco – Fermented Jalapeno Sauce and a dash of African Dream Foods Habanero Salt and you’ve got a truly irresistible, healthy, and filling breakfast that can be enjoyed any time of the day! You may easily double the recipe and freeze the assembled burritos for the mornings when you are in a rush and need a grab-and-go breakfast or lunch!
PREP & COOK TIME:
20 mins prep time
20 mins cook time
580 per serving
1 large, diced
1 small, chopped
1/4 cup, finely chopped
1, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1, juice only
1/4 tsp or to taste
1/2 lb /227g
Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1/2 tsp or to taste
4, lightly beaten with 2 tbsp milk
Avocado oil or other vegetable oil
2-3 tbsp or as needed
Burrito tortilla wraps
4 large, warmed up
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1, cut into wedges
2 tbsp or to taste
- Combine tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno in a bowl and toss together; season to taste with lime juice, ADF Habanero Chili Salt, and cumin and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until browned; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Press the shredded potatoes into the skillet in a single layer, season with ADF Habanero Chili Salt, and cook over medium-high for about 5 minutes; drizzle with a little oil, if needed, and flip over. Continue cooking until nicely browned and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add a little oil to the skillet (if needed), and cook the eggs, stirrings gently.
- To assemble the burritos, layer sausage, potatoes, eggs, and 1-2 tablespoons of salsa over each tortilla; drizzle with ADF Jalanasco Fermented Jalapeno Sauce to taste and top generously with the shredded cheese. Carefully roll up the burritos, gathering in the ends, and place seam side down on serving plates.
- Serve with the remaining salsa, lime wedges, diced avocado and extra ADF Jalanasco Fermented Jalapeno Sauce on the side.
- For vegan burritos, use plant-based sausage or refried beans and substitute eggs with turmeric scrambled tofu.
- If freezing, wrap the cooled burritos tightly in foil or place them in a Ziploc bag and store them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave the frozen burrito for a couple of minutes until warmed through.
- For a smoky flavor, substitute the ADF Habanero Chilli Salt with ADF Smoked Chipotle Salt.
- If you prefer a spicier, hotter kick, drizzle some ADF African Ghost Pepper Sauce over the burrito just before serving.